Here’s to all the people who are looking at options for Ecommerce, those who want a better chance for the Merch by Amazon team to look over your application and for those who have been thinking too hard on how to apply for Merch by Amazon. Look no further, we’ll guide you through the whole application process plus include some alternatives.
Note: First of all this isn’t a promise to get accepted as the application process has changed to minimise application abuse.
Requirements of Merch by Amazon (before completion)
- Personal Information
- Banking information
- Tax Interview
Now the process used to be different as you would get away with entering this information after admission. Merch by Amazon wants to know exactly who you are and are checking to prevent you from abusing the amount of accounts you can create.
So, let’s get to it. Lets put you in the position of getting the best chances of access!
Get on https://merch.amazon.com/landing and click the request invitation button.
It will then take you to this where it asks you to sign into your Amazon.com account. You need to create one if you don’t have one.
Now, to fill out for an application. The next step is to have the following information ready.
- Business contact information
- Bank account details (account/routing number)
- Social Security Number or other tax identification number
After this, you will need to be ready to answer a tax questionnaire.
Once you have all your information ready, click begin application.
You will then see this screen below.
From what you can see in this screenshot, there are 3 pages you need to fill out. This includes your company profile/personal detail, payment & banking information and your tax information.
Don’t have a company profile? No worries! Use your personal name instead.
Remember, you need to put your real details in as these are checked carefully – you need to make sure all your information is legitimate. KEEP IT HONEST as possible.
From there, enter your banking details and fill out the tax questionnaire.
Make sure that you have not used these banking details before as Amazon matches banking details across accounts (e.g. you might be sharing with a spouse with same bank account).
INVITATION FORM REQUEST
Now that everything has been filled out CORRECTLY, we can finally make an invitation request.
This section will ask about your industry type, organization name and ask for some additional information. Below, I’ll list some tips on how to best answer these.
- Knowing what type of business you run. If you run a business, I would personally recommend you as a small business.
- If you used your personal name please select novelty t-shirt business
- If you use a business name (LLC/S Corp/C corp), enter the name here.
- If NOT use your personal name
- You are making a case to the Merch Team
- This is basically a snapshot of your portfolio
- Keep in mind they are looking for people who can make them money
- If you have been in the print on demand industry before? Provide links to your work
- If you have NOT been in the print on demand industry before, get a few designs up on other platforms
- You need to show that you have put in the effort (gives you a better chance to be accepted)
- If you own a trademark – write about it
- If you’re a licensed artist – include this information
- If you had formal training for graphic design – include this information
Note: Honesty is of real importance here. If you don’t have anything to show – just show your genuine interest to join Merch by Amazon. We know many people who got in recently with no prior experience.
We have seen some success with people who have portfolios linked in their application. Since this is just a tutorial on applying for Merch by Amazon, and portfolios are purely optional I have wrote about putting together a portfolio in another blog.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE SENDING AN INVITATION REQUEST
THE WAITING GAME
You may or may not be accepted. You may be denied. Make sure you think carefully about your application
- Is it honest? Make sure it is.
- Did you fill it out correctly?
- How much value can you add?
- You may need to build your portfolio more (see link previously).
- Do you have enough information.
- Make sure this bank account hasn’t been overlapped for application.
It took us one whole year to be accepted – so don’t be discouraged and keep trying (the approval process is a lot faster now so don’t fret)! This is all about value for value. Make sure you add value first because its a two way ride. The Merch team is giving an opportunity for everyone to build success as a seller on their platform and they’re looking for quality people. You need to prove that you’re valuable and add value. This will help you build the best case and be accepted.
If for any reason you get rejected, there is no process to re-apply with the same details. So if this is the case, you need to create a brand new amazon account tied to a new email address – this makes it another reason to create a website dedicated to your own designs.
If your application fails – Apply again and wait. Like I mentioned, it took one whole year to be accepted. Patience is key.
We’re almost done!
Once you’ve set all this up finalise by sending your invitation request
Once you’ve sent your request, you will then be directed to a download link for templates in creating designs. Now you can get to work before becoming accepted. Good luck!
Just a reminder: If you get rejected – You can try again or have a crack at a different POD. We have found that there are some other PODs that is more worth your time than Amazon in the earlier stages. You can read more about that here (How to Use Redbubble to Aid Your Merch by Amazon Application).